Thursday 31 December 2009

Emma Fielding, that hat lady from Cranford



To me the most interesting thing about Cranford is the hat lady, sorry milliner lady, Miss Galindo played by Emma Fielding. Her story is the interesting one. Until now I thought the only way for early 19th century ladies to make their way independently in the world was to be come a governess (e.g. Jane Eyre). But now a second occupation opens up: making hats.

There needs to be a spin-off show about Miss Galindo and the adversity she faces in the hat-making world. Will the new railway increase the opportunities for her to market the hats? How will the industrialisation of hat-making affect her business? Will she find love with someone who doesn't look down on hat-making?

I did fear for Miss Galindo over the Christmas episodes recently shown on the BBC. They killed off Francesca Annis as Lady Ludlow and I thought a hat-making accident would be on the cards. Fortunately Miss Galindo survived and my hopes for a spin-off stay alive.

Failing that I would like to see Emma Fielding on TV more frequently. She was in that Ghost Squad thing about a secret police investigation unit a few years back, A Respectable Trade and one episode of Waking the Dead. Other than that I can't think of anything else I have seen her in.

Here's to more Emma Fielding/Miss Galindo in 2010!