Thursday 29 January 2009

Terminator, Emma, Kelly, Justine, Alastair Reynolds

It's been over a week since my last post so here is a round-up of what has been in my head these last few days.

First of all Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles returns to UK TV screens on Thursday 5 February 2009. I saw the trailer twice last night during Criminal Minds and found myself going "Yessss!!!"

Friend Barbie send me this news:

Jane Austen's masterpiece Emma is to be adapted by award-winning writer Sandy Welch (Our Mutual Friend, Jane Eyre, North And South) into a fresh, humorous and perceptive 4 x 60-minute serial for BBC Drama Production, for transmission on BBC One in autumn 2009.



http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2009/01_january/28/emma.shtml

This is of interest to me because Sandy Welch did such a good job with Jane Eyre in 2006. Thanks to the writing, Ruth Wilson's acting and the music the makers were able to dispense with the narration telling you what Jane was thinking at any one moment. I'm not sure the world needs another adaptation of Emma but I'm sure I will watch it anyway.

I mentioned before about my lack of interest in sport but I had been looking forward to seeing Kelly Sotherton compete at this weekend's Aviva International event in Glasgow. Alas she's hurt her back and will not compete.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gul8pjWkCE1xGn1Z5_GX0T-NVASw

Photo of Kelly. Just because.





I've officially decided I like Justine Waddell. Since watching Wives and Daughters I've seen Great Expectations (she was very good in that), Thr3e (OK movie) Dracula 2000/2001 (she was a bit wasted) and the movie of Mansfield Park (I admit I had finger on the fast-forward button a few times). Still have to watch Tess.

I've almost finished House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds. I've had it for a while but it's only in the last week or so that I've got stuck in. I must admit I flew through his last few novels (Century Rain, Pushing Ice and The Prefect) much sooner after buying them. And some of those were long books. But now that I'm into it I find that House of Suns is an entertaining space opera set 6 million years in the future. The main characters are clones who skip through time by traveling close to light-speed and observe the turnover of galactic civilisations.

http://members.tripod.com/~voxish/