Monday 31 January 2011

John Barry RIP

I was sad to read today about the death of John Barry. He was responsible for the soundtracks for eleven of the first fifteen James Bond movies plus a bunch of other movies. I was listening to some of his stuff on YouTube and thought I'd put a few on here...

OHMSS is one of my favourite Bond movies, based on my favourite Fleming novel, featuring one of my favourite Barry soundtracks... You get the idea...



Here's a favourite piece of music from Moonraker to accompany the space battle near the end of the movie. It has some unmistakable Barry sounds.



Here's a track from his last Bond soundtrack, The Living Daylights. This music accompanied a sequence early in the movie where Bond helps a defector escape across the iron curtain.



The Black Hole was a Disney movie that came out in 1979 to cash in on the Star Wars SF craze. It ticks a lot of the usual boxes, e.g. cute robots, laser battles, etc. It also had a great cast including Maximilian Schell, Anthony Perkins and the voice of Roddy McDowell. However it had a very unexpected ending. I must have been eight or nine when I saw the movie in the cinema and to this day I'm still not sure what it means. Check out the creepy visuals along with Barry's magnificent score.



And I forgot he did a great score for Enigma, the move based on the Robert Harris novel. Now I want to watch it again...