Tuesday 7 July 2009

Just seen Franklyn, and I like it



Franklyn caught my eye when it came out a few months ago in the cinema. Not that I got around to seeing it in the cinema, but then I see hardly anything in the cinemas. I've just seen it tonight on DVD and I have to say I enjoyed it very much. It won't be to every-one's taste but I liked what I saw.

I don't really want to give too much away but basically the movie dips in and out of the lives of four characters, three of which live in contemporary London and the forth lives in the fantastical Meanwhile City. By the end of the movie the four stories converge.

Special mention must be made of Eva Green who plays the troubled Emilia with a combination of darkness and vulnerability.

The production design and the visuals of Meanwhile City are wonderful. And watch out for the actors who play roles in both London and Meanwhile City. That's a clue for you!

And that's pretty much all I want to say. Give it a chance. You might like it.