Saturday 14 March 2009

New Star Trek trailer is stunning

I don't normally make any comments about movie trailers but I really have to make an exception for the new Star Trek trailer. There is something suitably epic about it.

Near the start is a great line from Bruce Greenwood playing Captain Pike.




"Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives. Including yours."


Now, damn it, that's a great line. I want to see the movie for that line...

The music they use is wonderful. It's a track called "Freedom Fighters" by Two Steps From Hell. Works perfectly.

Other favourite moments.


"You will experience fear. Fear in the face of certain death."


McCoy: "We've got no captain and no first officer to replace him."
Kirk: "Yeah we do."



(Karl Urban sounds more and more like Deforest Kelly the more I listen to that line. And he looks a bit like Bones too.)

There's a wonderful shot of the USS Enterprise that I keep going back to. Just for a few seconds there is a sense of wonder and mystery as it approaches an alien ship.

And there's a foreboding shot that makes me a little bit concerned for the planet Vulcan.

There's other great stuff in the trailer from Eric Bana as Kirk's adversary. I won't call him a villain as from by accounts he appears to have an actual motive for what he's doing rather than just being evil for the sake of it.

Well, don't take my word for it. Check it out at http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/