Tuesday 24 February 2009

Law & Order UK actually quite good shock!


One of my favourite TV shows is Law & Order. I've been watching it since Carey Lowell and Angie Harmon were the ADAs. (Perhaps I should introduce a new time measurement system based on the cast of L&O...)

When a UK version was announced I mentally shrugged and promptly forgot all about it. That is until last night when the first episode was broadcast. I actually recorded it to watch later as I decided to watch the deeply mediocre Heroes. (Sucessfully continuing its mediocre streak in case you're wondering.)

When I did settle down to watch L&O UK I discovered it was not bad. Hey, it was actually quite good. The format actually seemed to work with English accents and shots of Kings Cross train station.

Unfortunately they changed the theme music, but thankfully they retained the "doink doink" sound between scenes. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OlCVNn9ZeY) Oh, and there's still the cheesy but essential shot of the grinning cast walking towards the camera at the end of the credits. Wouldn't be the same without it.

Jamie Bamber gets to use his English accent after years playing Lee Adama on Battlestar Galactica. Freema Agyeman from Doctor Who was a CPS person. Ben Daniels got the Sam Waterstone part. The excellent Bill Patterson played the equivalent of the DA but didn't get much to do.

I think I recognised Mrs Fairfax from Jane Eyre 2006 playing the unscrupulous landlord.


All in all an enjoyable hours entertainment from ITV. That in itself is something. I shall watch the next episode.