Monday 6 April 2009

Emma, Persuasion and Our Mutual Friend Penguin TV Tie-ins

I made a few nice finds in a second hand bookshop today. Over the last couple of year's I've been catching up on all the period drama's that I didn't watch when they came out in the 1990s. Usually Penguin books put out a TV tie-in edition and today I found three more for my collection.

First of all here's the 1996 edition of Jane Austen's Emma to tie-in with the version made by ITV. Kate Beckinsale and Mark Strong are shown prominently on the cover. The cover also mentions a "making of" book is available. What is nice about this edition is that it contains eight pages of colour cast photos in the middle. No, I'm not scanning them as I don't want to ruin the spine. The cover price was £3.99.



Not far away from that book I spotted a copy of Jane Austen's Persuasion featuring photos of Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds from the 1995 BBC adaptation on the cover. I was prompted to get this version of Persuasion on DVD in 2007 after seeing the excellent Sally Hawkins version. This book does not have photos of the cast inside but was originally on sale for the amazing price of £1.99!


Finally here is the 1998 tie-in edition of Charles Dickens' Our Mutual Friend. This book has photos of Anna Friel and Keeley Hawes on the cover. This one also has eight pages of cast photos inside and was on sale for £3.99. Not bad value for 900 pages. I've not seen this adaptation yet but I will be hunting it out on DVD. Unfortunately the spine of this book appears a little sun-faded.


I don't know if anyone else is interested in these sort of books but I thought I'd stick the photos up here for other like-minded people!